Pages

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Leave Palin's Daughter Alone! (Her Family Is Not The Problem.)

As a writer who has left no doubt in previous posts who I am supporting for President, You might imagine I have something to say about John McCain's running mate and the fact that her seventeen year old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant.

I do. Leave Bristol Palin alone! As the candidate I support said, peoples families should be off limits and people's children should be especially off limits.

It proves nothing about anything that Bristol is pregnant. Her parents didn't want this anymore than any parents want that kind of stress.

I have plenty of issues with McCain's choice for VP, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. I find it hard to believe that a party who relentlessly pointed out Barack Obama's inexperience throughout August then somehow found the one VP Candidate LESS experienced.

Oh, but she has executive experience, they say. Sure, of a town of 9000. Oh, and a few months in charge of a state with a smaller population than the city that John McCain forgot to pay his property taxes in for four and a half years.

And that is just the top of the barrel. I could go on, and will later, but I fear blunting my other message.

The private internal issues of her family are not our business, at least not in this case or in general. Yes, I agree that if we were talking to Sarah Palin specifically about her position of teaching abstinence or about pre-marital sex or single mothers, then I can see it being relevant in a limited fashion.

But whether or not her teenage daughter acted like, well, a teenager... that has nothing to do with Sarah Palin's ability to lead or her qualifications (or lack of them) for the position that she has been asked to fill.

So back off and leave the girl alone!

2 comments:

GLBT Promo said...

Her daughter is not the issue, and my candidate - Obama - has already made that clear. (Although I am sick of the Republicans making it sound like it is normal for 17 year old girls to get pregnant. My 17 year old daughter is not pregnant - thank you - so lay off the bullsh*t.)

The issue is Palin's lack of experience. We are told if we question that we're anti-woman. More bullsh*t.


Jolie

David Gerard said...

Darnit, I wrote this in about an hour and see teh whole intarweb got there first!

(it's about the process, not the daughter)