Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day About The Environment

Today is Blog Action Day about the environment, a movement to try to get us thousands of attention seekers to all post about the environment and thereby illuminate the issue through the chorus of our electronic voices.

I'm at a loss of what to write about that is seriously environmental.

We could congratulate Al Gore on his Nobel Peace Prize... which I do, by the way. Can you make a case for dozens of others who are deserving? Of course. But I happen to like that Al got the nod. Of course, I like anything that tweaks neo-con noses and I love that George Bush can't take away Al's victory this time by using a dispute in a state where his brother is governor. I really don't think they care about Jeb's hanging chads in Oslo.

Or we could talk about the absolute ridiculousness of SUV marketing. If you love the great outdoors, you should buy a Hummer? Excuse me? Sure, it can get up an incline okay, although let's be honest... the majority of H3's will never see dirt that didn't blow off a little league diamond or school playground. And the yellow ones look like school buses, at that. But I despair at the idea that people who love hiking and camping and mountain biking will not be able to recognize that using a vehicle that gets 12 miles to the gallon is foolish if they really want to help the environment they so love.

I want them to make a hybrid X-Terra. I like the looks and (admittedly) the marketing behind that SUV, and I would love it if they made a hybrid version... maybe they do and I don't know about it yet. But if so, they are missing their target with some of their ads. I probably will buy a new vehicle in the next couple of years, and I would like to buy a hybrid. But I still have the desire to have a truck of some kind and SUV's are a good compromise for me between truck-desire and childcare needs.

Hmmm... guess I found something to say after all...

No comments: